It is not uncommon to read that chiropractic care is aimed at a wide range of audiences and that they are suitable for everyone. However, they also address newborns and young children and this is not that always known to the public.
Giving birth to a child after having carried it for about nine months with ups and downs is an extraordinary experience of a woman. It is an extreme physiological test for both the mother and the newborn. Indeed, childbirth is often traumatic for the baby because, at this time, its cranium and cervical vertebrae are subjected to forces and can cause to a great number of imbalances like lesions and nerve interferences which, in turn, have the potential to influence the innate capacity of adaptation of one"s body.
As a preventive measure, a chiropractic examination and adjustments as needed may prevent the newborn from having health problems related to the nervous system malfunctioning and a disruption of the body"s inherent ability to heal itself and to adapt to its new environment. Thus, newborns need a chiropractic care because this will help them to enjoy optimized growth and development. Some conditions which chiropractic care have applied have surprising results. It should be emphasized that the techniques that the chiropractor uses for newborns are not the same as those used in adults. For the following cases, do not hesitate to contact a chiropractor who is interested in caring for children:
- Deformities that appear on the skull of the baby
- Baby has difficulty sucking on a defined side or has difficulty sucking
- Baby suffers from torticollis
- Baby has colic or other digestive disorders
- Baby cries often without being able to calm him or suffers from sleep disorders
- Baby has ear problems and nasal congestion
As your child grows, he or she is confronted with other problems associated with the stages of his or her life. He can suffer from several traumas, due to falls, learning to walk, going to the park or playing. It is important that his spinal is regularly checked by a Jacksonville, FL chiropractor.
A little later, when he is in school, other problems that attack his spine like the weight of his backpack that tends to increase over the years or the trauma associated with the practice of his physical activities, which are amplified by incorrect postures. It is therefore also advisable to have the spine checked by a chiropractor. Even if he is no longer a newborn or an infant, your child will benefit from chiropractic care, whether as a preventive or therapeutic purpose. Several situations may require a consultation with a chiropractor for children and adults.
Below are some conditions for which chiropractic care have surprising results:
- Stress, anxiety, nervousness
- Hyperactivity, concentration problems, attention deficit
- Chronic constipation
- Sleep disorders and difficulty falling asleep
- Chronic fatigue
- Repeated falls or occurrence of a recent road accident
- Frequent joint pain in the back
- Beginning of scoliosis
- Asthma, allergies
If it is preferable for the newborn to have a chiropractic examination after birth and be adjusted to avoid health problems due to poor functioning of the nervous system and disruption of the nervous system. Indeed, it is desirable to have your child checked by a chiropractor at every important stage of his life, at least until his teenage years.
Below are some scenarios that a child can be taken to a chiropractor.
- When your baby begins to raise his head while lying on his stomach
- When your baby starts to get on his feet
- When your baby has acquired the sitting position without needing to be supported
- When your baby begins to acquire a sense of balance and to stand upright
- When your baby has taken his first steps
- When your child begins to go to school when usually bad postures begin
- When your child starts doing some sports activities
Below are signs you need to go see a Chiropractor for back pain.
- Constant pain that keeps getting worse.
- Fever along with your back pain.
- Numbness in the thighs or buttock.
- Problems with balance.
- Tingling in the legs.
- When you flex the back, the pain becomes worse.
- You are experiencing abdominal pain that accompanies back pain.
- You are experiencing severe pain at night.
- You are having bowel problems.
- You have weakness in your legs.
- Your back pain began because of a trauma, such as a slip and fall.
- Your pain does not go away.
Painless and safe handling
As already noted, the adjustment techniques are not the same as those used in adults. Whether it is a newborn, a child or an adolescent, chiropractic adjustments, whether at the level of the spine or one of its joints, are usually done from the tip of fingers and are lightweight, resulting in a painless and safe handling. If you are in doubt, if you still have questions about this or if you want any clarification on a particular point, do not hesitate to speak with a chiropractor.
Prevent and manage a large number of neuro-musculoskeletal system problems
We all know the proverb that “prevention is better than cure". This literally means that it is better to take certain precautions so as not to have more serious health problems arise. In other words, no need to wait for the onset of symptoms before consulting. Thus, it is preferable to allow your younger and older teens to benefit from the experience and skills of a chiropractor in order to avoid potential neuro-musculoskeletal disorders that can cause of other diseases, complications, and loss of self-healing ability of their bodies. On the other hand, as you may have noticed, chiropractic is not limited to prevention because a chiropractor is qualified to deal with the problems of infants, children or adolescents in relations to vertebral dysfunction or problems with the neuro-musculoskeletal system.